Sunnyside School of International Studies
Magnet School of Excellence
The educational program at Sunnyside Elementary is based on the Indiana Academic Standards, with a focus on achievement, integrity and service. Sunnyside Elementary provides excellent educational opportunities for students in grades one through five. Students attending Sunnyside Elementary experience an exciting learning environment that is based on the work of several well-known researchers.
Best practices are employed at Sunnyside in the language arts and math arenas as well as in the social sciences. Students in grades 1-6 participate in Four Blocks, a balanced literacy instructional model that focuses on Guided Reading, Self-selected Reading, Writing, and Working with Words. These blocks represent four different approaches to teaching children to read. Daily instruction in all four blocks provides numerous and varied opportunities for all children to learn to read and write. Teachers are beginning to embrace the Reader's and Writer's Workshop model for providing reading and writing instruction.
- Recognized by Magnet Schools of America as a national Magnet School of Excellence
- Recognized as an “A” school by the Department of Education
- Sunnyside prides itself on a friendly, accommodating staff and a diverse population of learners
- Students at Sunnyside enjoy multiple extracurricular activities, including Sunnyside Singers, Up and Running Club, and the United Way Side by Side Program
- All students participate in COMPASS Class (Comparing Our Multiple Perspectives Across School and Society), to further the school vision of developing globally conscious and internationally minded students
- Active philanthropy in the building raises dollars for area nonprofits, including the American Heart Association, Riley Hospital for Children, United Way of Central Indiana, and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society